View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #33
FullTimer

Basically RVs use 2 types of electrical systems. 110v's AC like in your house. And 12v DC like in your car. The 110v outlets in your RV will supply power to your household appliances and TVs etc. This system only works when you plug the trailers or motorhome shore cord into an outlet at the campground or at your house. These cords can be 30 amp or 50 amps depending on the amperage draw of your RV. 30 amp is the average RV. This allows the use of the roof air conditioning, microwave oven, electrical outlets, refrigerator, etc. You must be aware of how many amps each appliance is drawing. An air conditioner draws about 16 amps. A microwave draws about 13 amps. Converter draws 4 to 6. Add up each item that you have running at the same time including TV's, coffee makers. To see what your amperage draw would be. Larger trailers and motorhomes use 50 amp systems so they can use more/ larger appliances. Like washers and dryers, ice makers, second air conditioners, electric water heaters. [/B]

http://www.rvdirectbuffalo.com/index...ctricalsystems

Now onto real life.
50 amps will generally get you things like a second AC ready, washer/dryer hookups. They can all be run on one 50 amp circuit. 30 amps limits you to running one AC, maybe a washer/dryer at the same time. As long as you turn the refer and water heater to gas too.
I wish our last TT had 50 amps, then we could make coffee and run the micro or fireplace, or both the micro and the fireplace, LOL. our friends new TT has 50 amps and 2 AC units (its a 34' TT)
I guess it depends on what all you have that runs off the electric.

if your at a campground with 30 amp as we so often are then you will have to be more selective in what you use. our camper is 50 amps and when we do get a 30 amp site we are just more aware of what we use. when we camp in hot weather I try to book a 50 amp site.

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...d/27493071.cfm

And I would love to see a 4K watt that puts out 30 amps lol, considering my 3.500 only does 15 amps, with a 20 amp surge.
But hey, it's the internet, where everyone is an expert and claims abound.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote