View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
John can you parallel different brand and size generators?
Some yes, most ABSOLUTELY NO !!!!!

There was an article that followed a question to the Honda Generator website asking about connecting a Honda generator to another brand and Honda said not to even attempt it. Yamaha had (not sure if it's still there) a warning in their FAQ section of the website that said something like, "Only use our parallel kit to connect similar generators." They have since changed that to allow connecting different size generators in the same family with the limitation of only calculating double the power of the smaller generator. When I read that, I chuckled, knowing that someone who only reads the title on the owner's manual is going to connect a 4000 and a 2000 watt generator and burn up a parallel kit (or melt the wires and get electrocuted trying to put out the fire) while they're trying to get 5500 watts out of that pair...

To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to connect different brands (safely) to increase the power. Different regulating circuits, different output terminal names, different phasing and rectifying circuitry just doesn't play well together, especially when you're in the woods and the closest emergency room is "somewhere, far away"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote