View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Going back in Keystone's tire fitment history you will find that in model years 2005 & 2006 they fitted all 6000# axles with LT235/85R16E tires. Mostly Missions from China and Uniroyal's by Michelin. As the off shore ST tire manufacturer's adapted to the USA market, more sizes and increased load capacity ST tires were built and saturated the RV trailer market. Keystone, like most all other RV trailer manufacturer's took advantage of the cost difference and started using all ST tires in 2007.

This is a fact. No tire manufacturer of any design would ever recommend their tires to be used beyond 10 years. Also, most recommend professional annual inspections from the 5 year point forward.

Because Keystone fitted LT tires to a lot of their models does not mean individuals can do the same. You cannot find a LT tire with the load capacity of a like sized ST tire. Example, LT235/85R16E has a maximum load capacity of 3042# @ 80 PSI. ST235/85R16E has a maximum load capacity of 3640# @ 80 PSI. Since 2007 the prefix ST & LT are part of the tire's size.

You are correct that the ST have a higher load RATING, personally I don't trust that rating!
I want tires on my 5er that I can treat the same way as the LT tires I run on my TV. Where an accidental curb brush, or driving 70 on the interstate, is going to put them at risk.

On Edit: I am amazed that many think manufactures can build a stronger tire for way less money than a tire rated to carry less for longer and far less blowouts.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks