View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
In response to sourdough's reply to my post, I wonder why manufacturers put MAX TIRE PRESSURE on their tires? I know the definition of MAX, but go ahead and run them down the road at MAX pressure and you will be exceeding the Manufacturer's MAX tire pressure. Makes sense to me.

They are max "cold" inflation pressures - not hot. Read the 2nd sentence in the Carlisle FAQ. None of the tire manufacturers state a max "hot" pressure that I know of simply because that number could be anything based on so many variables.

From TireRack:

Maximum Inflation Pressure

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.

For the reasons indicated above, It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions.

Hopefully that clears up what the MAX pressure is - cold. The rest just "happens" and is normal.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote