Originally Posted by johnmccallister View Post
GOT IT! Thanks!

So that shows the payload to never exceed 1414 lbs

Dry Weight6,101 lbs.
Payload Capacity1,679 lbs.
GVWR7,780 lbs.
Hitch Weight780 lbs.

Which basically would leave me with ~200lbs of cargo weight... ha
I may not be interpreting your response correctly, if so, please disregard this post......but I believe you are confusing/associating truck payload with trailer payload and have determined that you have 'approximately 200 lbs of cargo weight....' when the two actually have nothing to do with each other:
  • The truck has its own payload cap, which in your case is 1414 lbs. This was determined by subtracting the weight of the vehicle from its GVWR (which in post 1 you say is 6800 lbs), when the truck rolled off the assembly line. What it's essentially saying is if you add more than 1414 lbs to the truck, your are overloading it by exceeding the truck's GVWR.
  • The trailer also has a payload (or cargo carrying) capacity. This is how much 'stuff' can go into the trailer before you exceed its GVWR. So, add more than 1679 lbs to the trailer and you exceed its GVWR.

To determine if you are overloading the truck with this trailer, do as mentioned previously: figure 13% of the trailer's GVWR as tongue weight, add in the weight of all the people in the truck, another 100 lbs for the hitch and the weight of any other gear/pets etc. that will be in the truck. If this figure exceeds 1414 lbs, you'll be over the truck's payload capacity, and as a result will be exceeding its GVWR. The trailer's payload capacity does not factor in to this calculation
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote