View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 04:05 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I also use that HF torque wrench successfully for years. In the past I was anal about checking lug nut torque. I say in the past because for the last few years I've either become lazy or realistic depending on perspective.

Background: "back in the day" I was somewhat of a gear head, at least before marriage & children. '72 Grand Torino pulling a 22' jet boat with an Olds 454 on a trailer painted to match with matching wheels with the Torino. Yes, terribly overloaded but the aftermarket stereo did The Who justice.. Anyway, back then the aluminum wheels seemed to require torqueing after wide temperature changes, hard driving, etc. The motions became as second nature as washing the vehichles.

FF a few decades: I noticed that the wheel torqueing that had invaded my DNA wasn't necessary. I realized that after an initial install and 50 to 100 mile check the wrench just clicked indicating no backing off of the nuts. I suspected my wrench was out of spec. Checked it against a freinds calibrated and certified wrench and mine was "close enough". Still warey I used witness paint and sure enough, no movement. The alloy wheels of today a far different than the aluminum wheels of days gone by. Just my observations, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote