Thread: New truck
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnS View Post
I think it's likely that the auto retail business model will change, OEMs won't build a breadth of product just have something to sell today. Dealers will have a few items on the lot and become order takers in a mostly build to order business model with low sitting inventory. They both will find this to be a lower cost business model.
Cracks in the 'old' dealership protection laws are being pried open by Tesla as they sue in several states and as the traditional OEMs move to EVs and with more EV vendors arriving these vehicles will be more modular builds with higher percentage of common components across models accompanied by firmware and software differences for differentiation.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Change is the only constant and so far it's served us well.
I can’t see it changing too much…maybe the EV market but that has so far attracted a crowd of people that are willing to wait for what they want it seems…(Fisker EV) for example

For the big auto manufacturers it is probably easier and cheaper to keep the machine rolling as long as there are no material/supply shortages..Americans buy up all the cars anyway..largely because they drive by a dealer and they have the exact car or truck they saw on a tv commercial or magazine sitting right there just a signature away.

And someone will jump in and flood the market with their vehicles to fill the need.
People are fickle and don’t like to wait for things …if you give them too much time they may realize they don’t need or want it anymore

When Henry Ford completely shut down his plants to retool from the model T to the model A it cost him millions in market share…Chevrolet had record sales that year…it almost cost Ford everything

It’s like McDonald’s wouldn’t do as well if you went into the restaurant and had to sit down and place an order with a waiter and wait for the cook to get to your order..people would go elsewhere

And until we have a complete and total change in how the average American likes to shop then nothing will change …that will take many many years IMO

EV sales can’t really be compared to regular car sales ..it’s like powerboaters and Sailboaters…two philosophicaly different human beings …
….
sailboaters are almost like martians to powerboaters…and I’m sure they think the same of me lol

( I’ve had a few sailboats but it wasn’t for me)