View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
mtofell

Your 5th is about 1000# heavier than mine but you have more favorable 4.10 gearing versus my 3.73 so I'd say we are pretty similar. My truck is a 6.4 Hemi 2500 4X4 CC Short Bed.

Overall, it gets the job done. My biggest complaint by far is the gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Up steep winding roads a lot of times I just can't hold 2nd so I have to putt along at 25-30. There's just kind of a dead spot around 35 that the truck can't hold 2nd. If I can hold the RPMs up over 3500 or so I have tons of power. I can hold 60 going up 5-6% mountain passes as long as I don't have to slow down for sharp curves or traffic.

The only other real complaint I have is the shifting of the tranny but I can just override that my doing it manually. It has a tendency to hold 4th far too long and then just slam right past 3rd down to 2nd. All of these behaviors are well known and complained about by other owners I've talked to online. Overall, I'm happy with the truck. As a daily driver it's as close to perfect as possible. None of the shifting or gear spacing is a problem unless towing.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote