View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Re: Finally upgrading.

You've made a good choice and I think you will be happy.

I've traveled the path you are and I think you'll find the 6.4 2500 is going to be just about right for what you're doing. My trailer is considerably heavier than yours and the 6.4 does a good job. You don't give the box size, cab size or ratio but whatever they are the specs on the truck should give you lots of wiggle room. And yes, towing with the 2500 vs the 1500 will feel much, much different and no more nagging worries about weights....you will get peace of mind.

You said it's an Outdoorsman "pretty much loaded" so I'm not sure what kind of upgrades you would want/need. I bought mine with the 8.4" entertainment center w/o nav. I added that via a simple software upgrade and seems like $375? It's definitely worth it to me. I'm a shorter person so I had them put the tubular step rails on. It's a HD 4x4 and sits pretty tall. You will like the brake controller. Take a few minutes to read the manual on the operation before you set it up. My other thought would be on the hitch. I have an Equalizer WD hitch and I had to buy a new extended shank for it because the 2500 sat so much higher than the 1500 and we couldn't get the trailer set up right. Does it have the Class V hitch?

You say you've already removed the LT tires and replaced them with the old P tires. You may want to sell them but I doubt they will fit the 2500. Same with the air bags. Airlift 1000s cost less than a hundred bucks and the work is installing them. Removing them would be the same. They won't fit the 2500 so unless you had another use for them I would leave them on it if it were me.

Just a few thoughts. Congrats on the new truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote