View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Years ago when I was an auto sales person, rule was take in trade under wholesale and sell used at retail.

Don't be surprised if you find its not a "swap", but you will still owe on the older truck. Would I do it? I don't honestly know.
That's still the rule today. One thing you have going for you is the fact that you have a 2500 which is more popular and sells easier than a 3500 dually. I did a similar swap in 2014 when I traded my 2500 LT Silverado for a 3500 LTZ dually. I watched the dually as it sat on the lot for 2 months. I attempted unsuccessfully a couple times to make a deal. Finally the dealership saw things my way and made a deal. I paid $2k difference for a truck that booked at $7k more. Of course, just as I predicted, the 2500 sold off of their lot I less than a week. My advice, don't get in a hurry, let the days build up on that 3500 and use the fact that you have a truck with a much greater market size to your advantage. Is it possible that someone else may come along and buy the 3500, yes, but worth the risk IMO. And yes, you will save a lot on sales tax buy trading. That alone is worth a couple thousand.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote