View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
BlueThunder34

I agree with what most have said and speaking from experience be glad you are asking now. I am in no way part of the weight police club and don't believe that 1/2 tons aren't capable of towing more than a golf cart because it's simply not true. The new 1/2 tons are very capable of towing smaller TT but as mentioned their weakness is payload, especially when they are heavily optioned such as lariat trim levels, payload takes a major hit. We bought a 2014 F-150 CC ecoboost Max tow for our trailer and while pulling power was beyond capable the fact that our trailer weighed nearly 7,000lbs loaded and the truck weighed about 5,600lbs led to the simple principle that the tail could easily wag the dog. I did upgrade to LT tires from the garbage P rated tires and used a good WDH and those things did help quite a bit but in cross winds and passing semis physics would always win and just didn't feel comfortable for us. It was a very expensive lesson for us when I decided to upgrade to the 1 ton and yes I know it's overkill for our current trailer but believe me the towing experience and safety is night and day in every aspect. And yes in the future we plan on buying a larger trailer so we are poised for that time when it comes. I think that truck you are looking at would probably be sufficient for that trailer (although only the door sticker will confirm that) but I would really think about the future and any possibility of wanting bigger down the road and needing to upgrade your TV. Your wallet will thank you for planning ahead, I know I wish we would have. Good luck in your search and happy camping!

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote