View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
slow

It was a wise decision to seek opinions prior to your purchases, so you will be informed.

A few thoughts;

When I was making a decision on a TV upgrade, I used a number of online trailer tow capacity calculators. They all painted a very similar picture; 1/2 tons are most suitable for TT of less than 5,000 lbs dry, 3/4 tons best for 5,000 to 8,000 lbs dry and anything heavier are best pulled with 1 tons using 1,000 lbs for passengers and misc items in the TT and TV. Yes, the calculators are conservative, but when it comes to safety, I wanted to be conservative.

A number of considerations need to be made as others have stated: TV payload, tow capacity of the TV, etc. But do not forget about braking and wheel base where bigger is better in both cases. Also frontal area comes into play and going to a FW literally forces you into a 1 ton diesel and possibly a dually if pin weight is high.

Yes, less capable TV can do the job, but over extended trips of more than a few hours, it can be very tiring and not very relaxing.

For reference my 2015 F260 6.2 gasser with 3.73 averaged 10 mpg on a 7,000 mile trip to the east coast pulling a shorter trailer but same shape as the bullet you are considering, and I was not light on the gas pedal.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote