View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Really hard to buy any truck that has a gas engine and tow a rv and get good mpg. Many do without pulling. Think ahead a few years. I say this because most get into RVing and than need or want bigger for many reasons. If so, your starting with a truck that has the least amount of ability to pull a RV compared to the 3/4 or 1 tons. That truck may be over loaded with the F150, camp gear, food, and trailer etc.
A few things about trucks and pulling a RV. You need to know the payload rating. That is where the smaller trucks fail. They can pull but not carry much weight. That trailer likely has a tongue weight when loaded of 900 lbs plus or minus. My little trailer see below was weight checked loaded and is 950 lbs. That is added weight to the hitch. Than add hitch, people and anything you put into the truck that equals payload. And can easily get more than 1500 lbs. Tires likely need upgraded to carry the weight of a RV. Just a few things to consider. And yes many use that truck to pull a RV and many that pull RVs with any size of truck can be overloaded. Just drive on the interstate during the summer and see how many pull hills at 35 mph or have the rear truck bumper a few inch's from the road. Rear tires riding on or near the side walls. All signs of to much trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote