View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
dcg9381

My advice (for what it's worth):
1) Don't change plugs unless you need to. How do you know if you need to?

At the service interval... Or if you start having spark / cylinder problems. The v10 is a smooth motor and honestly you probably won't notice a single cylinder drop out. There is a special "ford only" diagnostic called "mode 5" that some diagnostic tools can read. It's essentially a misfire count by cylinder. You should review that count before deciding to change plugs. If they're not misfiring, don't mess with it.

Note, a misfire can also be a coil issue, so maybe replace the coil first.

$800-$1000 is too much to do this job. Way too much. That's more in line with having to fix a boo-boo.

If you have to replace them, here's my methodology:
Remove all the COP.
Blow out all of the plug holes.
You want a spark plug tool that has a swivel socket and is magnetic. If you don't have one, buy one. I think the one I got was in 3 lengths.
Crack each spark plug 1/8th to 1/4 turn. No more. Use penetrating oil and spay it in the COP holes. Let it sit for 24 hours. I sprayed mine about 3 times in that period.
After 24 hours, remove the plugs carefully. They should come out OK.

Acquire new plugs.
Use anti-sieze liberally and grease for COP boot.
Hand thread, using your socket extension and magnetic socket every single plug. Do not skip on the hand-thread. Do not proceed if you think there might be a cross thread.
Using an inch-lb torque wrench tighten to ford spec. Do not over torque.

It's not a bad job. It's easier on a Class-A than truck or Class-C. It is NOT an $800-$1000 job unless you end up with a plug that has to be extracted, even then, $800 is excessive. Most of the time is spent waiting.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote