View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
buzzcop63

Mixing Tire Brands?

My 24RKSWE Cougar has just over 3,000 miles on its tires and they were dated 4911, they first hit the road in March 2012. Drivers side front tire locked up during heavy braking and flat spotted the tire, (about down to or past the ware bar, 4" long and can see a few more inches of heat and ware). These are Towmax ST225/75R15, D that came on the trailer new. These tires are mounted on aluminum wheels; the spare is steel and has now replaced the flat spotted tire. Question: Is it advisable to buy better brand tire and run it with the other three Towmax or use the new tire as a spare and then if have to use will that cause a problem running with the Towmax. Want to put better quality tire as spare and then when replace the Towmax put all new on of the same brand?

As to brake adjustment concern, if my memory is correct we went on another trip after the one time I had the lock up of the tire and had no problem, I tested the trailer brakes as usual on leaving our storage facility and driving to our next camp sight. Would think if the brake were out of adjustment I would have found more then one small flat spot? I check the tires before and after each trip so the flat spot must have been on the bottom or top and I did not notice. Now it is either cancel leaving this Sunday and take the trailer in to Les Schwab on Monday to deal with the tire and check the brake, we have reservations 25 miles away at a state park, so what is your advice?