View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
It is normal for these drum brakes to make a scraping sound when rotating the wheels. You have the brake shoes that will make this sound in addition to the magnet scraping the flat surface of the drum. These brakes should be inspected annually when the bearings should be inspected and packed. Looking at the top picture of the tire against the chock, it sure appears that the tire tread area is bulging, which would cause the wear issue you have. The last Marathon we had that was the trigger for us to replace them with G614's, was noticed when we stopped at a rest stop in Arizona a couple years ago. The tires were always maintained to 80 psi, and the speed never went over 65 mph, yet, this last one had ply separated over half the perimeter of the tread, bulging bad, and most of the tread was gone. This was the fifth tire we had fail due to these Marathons being too light for these larger rigs, and since putting on the G tires, have had no issues or failures. The other four tires had bulging on the tread and also the side walls over the course of our first year with our rig.
I hadn't really looked or noticed the bulge you see but after looking again, I see what you're saying. I'm not ruling out that it was the tire itself and nothing is wrong with the rest - certainly possible. A friend of ours helped me change the tire last night, and he's changed his before, and he seemed to think the sound wasn't right, but it could have been brakes rubbing - that did cross my mind.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote