View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
sptddog

So, today I took a closer look at things. I did a 'mostly' straight edge test and did find that the wheel in question is slightly off (seemed to toe in) - but only between a quarter to an eighth of an inch at most. I didn't find any indication of camber type tilt in the tire. I did find that when I got the tire off the ground and spun the wheel freely, you can definitely hear something dragging or humming. Sounded a lot like a roller skate bearing that is bad, so I am making a preliminary assumption that the wheel bearing is bad. That said the wheel did not wobble as some indicated it would if the bearing was bad. Seems to really have worn the tires down quickly for it, but if it's dragging it would make sense.

The spare is on and it's at the dealers. We'll let them take a look and then go from there as to the repair. I'm still surprised that bearing could do that much damage. It had to be recent and quick, as I've hauled way too many miles with it to not have seen the gradual wear pattern over time.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote