Thread: Tire Question
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Western Traveler

I am running 225/75R15 E rated Trailer King tires. We put 3500 miles and change on them last season. Proper inflation and monitored continually. Towing speed 60/65 mph though I found myself creeping to 70 on occasion on some of the open roads. WORRIED constantly because of all the horror stories I have read here.
Short story;
I am a mariner and was hired to take a workboat to Alaska last season. As many know aircraft tires are often used for fenders on these vessels.
We got into a storm and tore about 20 tires off a side while in transit. We pulled into Port Angeles Wa and a tire store there loaded us up with used vehicle tires for replacements so we could continue our trip.
We had to drill through the thread using a hole saw in order to run cables through them for mounting. Averaged about 15/20 minutes per hole getting through the steel belts and all. As I started on one tire the drilling wasn't so tough but as soon as I hit the steel belt with the hole saw it bound and immediately tore about a 6" hole across the tire. I knew without even looking but did anyway, 15" Trailer King.
Debated all last year but not anymore. I just ordered a set of Maxxis to be installed next week for my 1350 mile trip back to Montana. More than anything I am concerned with road hazards. Generally I tend to error on the side of caution.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote