View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
suza

dave-g: I have the same thoughts on the wall covering. Our stove sits just inches from the side of the fridge which is faced with woodgrain paneling. Building codes would not permit this type of installation Perhaps the paneling is treated for flame resistance? The left rear burner is less than 6" from this wall. This might be the reason for the high-BTU burner being in the front, furthest from the walls.

While I was cooking this weekend, I put my hand on the side wall (not too scientific) and it was warm, but not hot. I'm sure there must be some fire safety standard here, no doubt the bare minimum. The rear wall is a bit further from the stove, but there are two burners to heat it up.

I think the issue with the Smart Tiles has more to do with their susceptibility to damage from open flame. And, the S T manufacturer may have a stricter precautionary limit than in RVs.

Precautionary measures I take when using the stovetop:

Cook at the lowest flame possible for the job
Rarely leave stove unattended while the burners are on; never if cooking at high settings
Always open nearby windows (more for ventilation, but this also keeps the area cooler)
Turn on the ventilator fan

Please let us know the findings of your "wall temp test" and thanks for your input.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote