View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ok, before the moderators get after me for completely derailing a thread about differentials, I'll tell one more story.
I was home for a weekend from south Texas and went to get a haircut at my small town barber shop. You know, the shop on the courthouse square that's been there forever. I walk in and take a seat. Barber asks "where you been? Haven't seen you in a while" South Texas on a job. Thought you were retired. Well I couldn't say no to the money. What you doing? Inspector on compressor installations. Where at? Harrisons Piloncillo Ranch north of Laredo. So up pipes "Joe Smith" a Petroleum Engineer and attorney from a barber chair: Oh I know that ranch and been on it. You know how the Harrisons got started? No. One of them used to work in the Liberty County Clerks office. He would watch the oil companies sign up property for drilling rights and jump ahead of them and sign them up himself and then flip the property back to oil companies.
I wonder if that would still work??
....A cornucopia of useless information.
Yeah I actually like all the in between stories and derailed topics…that’s what makes the site interesting for me…I like talking to people about their life experiences…a question about a problem can be answered in a few sentences….hearing about their first trailer 40 years ago and what it was like camping back then …or other life stories? …I could spend an entire afternoon listening

Used to spend my younger afternoons drinking beer with a 80+ year old Marina owner…he was a millionaire but you would never guess it…had an old GM motorhome he drove to dinner a couple a nights a week..his adult son was autistic so they traveled that way…drove a beat up old van..but owned a large Marina and different homes as well as a home on the water in miami …his Marina looked like a museum Old original museum quality caterpillar dozer in his shop..old Harley Packard service trike …anyway yeh I like stories