View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileglas View Post
Hi everyone I’m new to trailers and my wife and I are working on closing on our first trailer soon. We’re just waiting to see if our salesman and finance can work is out a better deal for us.

The trailer we found is the 2021 Springdale 295BHWE being towed by 2020 f150 XLT 4x4 5.0 v8. Is this too much on my truck? The charts I found on Ford show my tow capacity is 9000 and we aren’t going to be pack very heavy. We were planning on getting a weight distribution hitch to help as well, the salesman said it would be more than fine but I also wanted to hear options from others.

I’ve camped in friends trailers and my wife grew up with her parents having a toy hauler so trailers aren’t new to us. However we will be new to owning a trailer for ourselves, we’re alittle nervous but we’re confident we can do it! We’re hope we can love going out in our trailer with our 6mo old and two dogs, any tips or advice is much appreciated!
There are 2 misconceptions in your post.
#1 "my tow vehicle is rated at XXXXLBS", that weight was arrived at by the manufacturer towing trailers with ALL the load directly over the axles with minimal tongue weight, which in NO WAY compares to towing big long tall rectangular wind catching boxes.
#2 "We aren't going to pack very heavy" by the 2nd or 3rd trip you'll have added all the stuff you forgot the other trips & believe me once it goes in it usually doesn't come back out.
#3 that's a 9700lb 30' TT on a truck "rated for 9000lbs??? You're already overloaded without anything in the truck.
Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door post of YOUR truck that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs", that's your trucks payload that's the max that can be loaded in/on that truck which includes everything/everybody + the tongue weight (at minimum will be 10% of the GVWR = 970lbs) + the mandatory weight distributing hitch with sway control. These numbers bare for a TT, if this rv is a 5th wheel forget even thinking about towing with a 1/2 ton.
Your truck tow rating means absolutely nothing in the rv world, typically will exceed the payload before towing that much.
When calculating rv weights the dry/empty rv weight also means nothing, that's the weight it rolled out the factory door, no batteries, no propane & no liquids, it WILL NEVER weigh that again & you will NEVER tow it anywhere near that weight.
NEVER let either the truck or rv salesman confirm numbers, they are there to sell whether it fits or not.
I'm guessing too much rv with too little truck, weights will confirm.
I have no doubt the 2 of you can handle the rv lifestyle, just not with that rv & that truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote