View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry the above post was seemingly abrupt; I was trying to get to a dr. appt.

Look at the yellow and white sticker inside the driver door for the payload of your truck. Whatever that is subtract 1260 from it for the tongue weight of the trailer and that will be a good starting point as far as weights.

The reason I just said it is too much for the truck is because I towed a trailer about that same weight (gvw) with a 1/2 ton. I ended up about 200lbs. over my payload with the trailer well under the gvw (10k). We typically scaled around 92-9300lbs. The truck would "pull" it OK but the trailer was too much for the truck to handle in cross winds, bumps, road transitions etc. I replaced tires and shocks plus added air bags to no avail, and, stuff would always come open, fall out etc. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck, almost doubled my payload, didn't add a single add on (well, added Bilsteins at about 48k) plus all the items coming loose in the trailer stopped. The 1/2 ton didn't have enough suspension to keep the trailer from bouncing and flying around even though it had a MorRyde suspension.

There are comments made that some believe the answer is always a diesel dually; that's not really true. The answer is enough truck for the load AND to plan on your future trailer if there is going to be one. Buying trucks is an expensive proposition and a little forethought can save you a lot of money. That answer might be a gas 3/4 ton or a diesel dually; just depends on the load you have and plan. A 1/2 ton is not the answer on trailers over 7500 lbs.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote