View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Mandolin

Insulation and moisture control in pass-through

My new trailer has pass-through storage at the front. It is uninsulated at the top and sides (and probably the bottom, too, but I can't actually tell that). Above the pass-through space is the head of the bed and two small closets.

Most of my camping is in fairly temperate weather (call it min 30°, max 95°), but it can be damp (coast) or cool and rainy (mountain spring). The dealer says Keystone insulates walls and ceilings and I forget what R value the dealer claimed but I suspect it was quite low (maybe R4?).

Certainly when the trailer is closed up and it is much cooler outside than inside the windows in the trailer ("R0" holes in an insulated wall) show quite a bit of condensation in the morning. Opening a vent and a window prevent that, but also mean it is much cooler in the trailer.

Two people sleeping on top of the mattress generates a lot of moisture, and the moisture generated in a warmish living area will condense when it hits the cooler pass-through and potentially grow mold. So is there any point to insulating the top of the pass-through, if nothing else than from a moisture control standpoint?
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote