View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

For those that use the covers I would ask your advice.

I live in W TX. We have blowing sand (lots) in spring and most anytime else with winds from 30 mph to 60/70. Our summers are hot (consecutive weeks over 100, up to 106 or so). Winters are fairly mild.

How do you keep an RV cover from marring the finish with the constant buffeting from the wind? Especially when the RV gets covered with fine sand (you can't stop it) and then the gelcoat is literally buffed with fine grit by the cover. I tried one on my restored 83 Jeep CJ. After spring my brand new paint job (3 coats of clearcoat) looked like someone had taken a sander with 400 grit and buffed all the contact areas. Had to have it re clearcoated.

My other concern is protection from things like hail...which we do get; sometimes softball size. I understand they don't offer protection from something like that, but, my boat covers protected both of my boats from serious damage during a golf ball size hail storm. That storm destroyed my roof, knocked out my skylights and bent all the vents on the roof to oblivion. My boats were unharmed - even the big glass areas. Will a RV cover offer any protection at all.

I have to make a decision soon because spring is almost here. A storage unit costs 130 a month with payment for a year in advance. A new storage building on my property will cost around 25k. I like the price of a cover but don't know if it would help or hurt. Any thoughts?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote