Thread: Towmax Tires
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreene63 View Post
Hello everyone. From reading the archives it appears that there have been many issues concerning these tires. I recently had a my DSR tire blow out about 30 miles into the trip. Right now I am having my comp insurance coverage handle the damage to my trailer which was extensive. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck pushing back on the tire manufacturer for damages done by an exploding tire? From what I can tell, there have been numerous issues with these tires. I have a 2010 Alpine 3500.

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You’re pocket book is not going to like what I have to say here but the statistics support me.

First we need to see what Keystone has set your GAWR at. That information can be found on the trailers certification label located somewhere on the forward LH side of the trailer. I suspect it is 6750#. It could be 6850# or 7000# but I doubt it because of the TowMax tires. To use 6850# or 7000# GAWRs, Keystone would have to inform NHTSA via letter that they used 3520# tires on those GAWRs because the 3420# ST tire cannot be used with those figures.

You can see from a safety standpoint where I’m going with this. There are only three ST tires that can provide the load capacity you need for your GAWR. The current tires rated at 3520# or ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# at 80 psi or ST236/85R16F rated at 3960# at 95 psi.

The next and most popular option will almost certainly require a rim upgrade to withstand the 110 psi needed for the LT235/85R16G tires.

You’re in what I like to call the Keystone “catch-22. It crops up more often on keystone trailers than any other brand. Tires fitted - abiding by DOT regulations - with borderline load capacities. The ST tire NEEDS reserve load capacity. At least 12% above GAWR and preferably 15%. Trailer tires degrade faster than tires on our motorized vehicles. That’s because of the sit around time they are subjected to. Trailer tires, depending on how well they are maintained, can degrade as much as 7% in 3-4 years. That means somewhere along that path they lost the ability to support the trailer’s GAWR.

Bottom line; Get replacement tires that will provide the necessary load capacity to carry the loads placed on them throughout their life expectancy.

http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index...pecs&year=2010

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote