View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
McRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I did not serve, but our son retired 1 year ago with 21 years of service.
IMHO if anyone that was in combat that came out with NO physical or mental disability was VERY lucky.
From an outsider looking in, modern day warfare is nowhere near what our fathers/grandfather's went through. For them both sides wore uniforms & they knew which were good or bad, nowadays the opposing warriors may be wearing a dress or even diapers. It's a wonder any soldier can come home & sleep at night.
They deserve whatever they can get.
That is a perspective. Head on a swivel actually means something. Your statement reminds me of a convoy I was on in Kadhimiya, Iraq. Everything was a potential IED. I remember going past a corpse of a dead dog thinking that was it. We were going to get hit as soon as we drove by. Insurgents often used common sights as a deception. Didn't happen, was just a dead dog in the road - that time.
I do often reflect on the differences in wars. I served in 3 different theaters of war, Iraq, Afghanistan and Egypt and all of them were different than Vietnam, Korea, and each of the WWs. Personally, I think those before my generation had it ALOT harder. Uniforms or not. The US has such a technological advantage over current threats it don't even seem fair in most cases nowdays.

Anyhow...just rambling as I go to bed. I get your point, but don't agree. Those before my gen had it worse, IMO.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote