View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I ran a primary care clinic in the VA system for 20+ years. During my time treating veterans, I made the recommendation that many of them seek a disability rating (because I knew what was in their future). Many, actually most were reluctant to ask for help and proud to be able to support their family without seeking assistance. I always documented their medical record with our conversations and when the time came that they couldn't support their family or themselves, I walked them down the hall to the disability exam section to make their appointment.

To characterize a group of veterans as "bennie seekers" is repugnant and reeks with impropriety. I won't characterize any group of people, but if I were to "slip for a moment", from personal experience working in the system for decades, those who protest loudest against the disability program are often the ones who scream loudest when they need help and expect it NOW.....

The VA disability system is "played by some" but that percentage is honestly very small. Helping those who protected us with their lives, their health and their future was the most rewarding part of my medical career and I fully support continued care, assistance and benefits for every disabled veteran. They are the reason we can protest on an impersonal forum without soldiers knocking on our door to punish us for not "following government policy"...

I appreciate every veteran's contribution to our nation's safety and want them to enjoy what's left of their health and lives.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote