Thread: tire presure
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I guess I have had too much "free time" the last couple of days and have been surfing the web. I ran across this and found it "interesting" Has anyone else seen or heard of increasing tire pressure "above the recommended max" before???

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However industry standards also stipulate, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel’s maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

This all came from tirerack.com. The actual weblink is: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=219

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote