View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #76
hazmat456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
All in my opinion, I do have different thoughts about stickers on trucks or the trailer. I don’t see those stickers as mandates. It’s one point in time when the truck Or Camper leaves the factory.

So on my camper I have strengthened the suspension frame, added improvements to the slide mechanisms and many other improvements. It’s heavier but within tires specs. On my truck, I’ve added tires w a 4080 lb rating instead of 3640 out of the factory. I have a 300 lb hitch and a 350 lb extra fuel tank. The only thing I haven’t done is airbags.

So a 1500 series truck, one can have e rated tires that improve the load carrying ability of the tires, likewise air bags that keep the ride height level or a bit above keeping some weight on the front axle, one can upgrade the brakes to improve stopping power., etc.

Now I’m not saying that you can take a 150 and spec it up to out tow a 3500........ well.... well

Actually that has happened, my brother has a Ram 3500 that according to Ram and compared to Ford limits the weight to a few hundred lbs less than 150 or 1500 series trucks w the max tow package. To be fair the payload is over 4000 lbs and it will yank anything put behind it up to the tire limitations.

Most folks can’t assess the risk of doing these upgrades. Thus folks change trucks and camper and blow a lot of cash. I’m looking at myself in a mirror.

Why buy a 2500, it’s obsolete. Couple hundred bucks and you got a 3500 that rides just as well.

So In my humble opinion, the OP could make their truck very competent to handle that trailer. But if they are not comfortable, then they have to make a change.
Well that is exactly what they are, mandates. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to increase its capability short of changing the VIN.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote