View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm on the opposite side of this fence!
We traveled full-time for 10+ years totaling 300k+ miles with 2 diesel trucks. The '05 had a 32 gallon tank, the '13 had a 36 gallon, I did not carry any extra fuel in jerry cans & didn't have an auxillary tank. I carried a cross bed tool box full of tools/stuff so no room for an extra tank.
Only once in those years/miles heading north on I-25 in Montana bucking the wind in the middle of nowhere was I wishing I had an extra 5 gallons just as we topped the hill & spotted a truck stop where I put 31 gallons in that '05 32 gallon tank, by the hair of our chinny chin chin!
With that said, typically we traveled 2x2x2, traveled 200 miles, stop by 2pm & stayed 2 days. We could typically travel +/-350 miles per tank on either truck, but was a very rare occasion to travel that far in a day.
Finding cheaper fuel off of the highway wasn't ever an issue once parked & drove into town to check it out. If needed there were always truck stops available that I didn't mind using, easy in/out towing 40' 5th wheels.
If you're towing with a gasser all this means nothing. The last time I checked several years ago there are/were no approved auxillary tanks for gasoline. The Titan replacement tanks may be available for gas?
Yeah the jerry can is probably overkill for me...I do like your 2x2x2 travel schedule I might have to modify to 3x3x2 when going west because of time constraints..but taking time to see what’s around instead of racing through every town may be a good way to start traveling...with my 50 gallon tank it’s a workable plan