View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
True "deep cycle" batteries are a "breed all their own"....

The "hybrid" will always have CCA or Cold Cranking Amps listed on it. The "deep cycle" battery will not have that designation.

What makes them different? The "true deep cycle" battery has thicker plates which can withstand repeated deeper discharges without failure. The "hybrid" has thinner plates so it can deliver higher "cranking amps" (not needed in a true deep cycle battery) but because of the thinner plates, is more subject to damage and failure when discharged deeply.

As for "true deep cycle" 12 volt batteries, they are available, usually cost slightly more than two 6 volt batteries of similar 20 amp discharge ratings. That's why most people (IMHO) buy 6 volt batteries: Easier to handle due to weight and cost a bit less.
Bummer.

I've been having constant problems recently with my 12 V hybrid, so I brought it back to Interstate, who told me it was just out of warranty. I tried to get a true deep cycle battery to replace it, and they told me they didn't have anything like that. I thought Interstate carried everything. So now I'm stuck with another hybrid battery of exactly the same kind I had before, though I was willing to spend the money to get something better.

Where do you go to get the real deep cycle batteries?