View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Third Degree

Ok, I'll jump in here. I have the 2018 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 and 3.55 axle. I tow the 27SAB Cougar with it and the trailers dry weight is 6610. The truck on the scales with full fuel, 36 gallons of gas, the dog, some stuff in the truck cab, empty bed, Firestone air bags, and the wife and I, weighs 5680.

I put the trailer and truck on the scales with our stuff in it, full propane, two batteries, 14000 pound Equilizer hitch, B-Q, two bikes on the back, tools, etc, and no water. The total package was 13520. The truck total is rated at 14400. Yes, I'm close to my maxium and I really do know it.

There is plenty of power to tow this trailer, power is not the issue, stopping is not the issue. I have the Firestone air bags which I inflate to 20 lbs, I increase the tire pressure on the truck to 44 lbs. I can tell the trailer is back there. You are not going to be running down the freeway at 70 mph, it's more like 60 with 65 being your maxium, again not because of the lack of power, but the lack of control.

If you are planning on short trips, my idea of a short trip is under 200 miles per day, then you could do it if you are the patient type, following speeds recommend in curves, and on the roadway. If you can't stay in those limits then you need to upgrade your rig.

Yes, I will upgrade my truck when I decide to make those long runs, but for now it does work.
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote