Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #33
Badbart56

I'm not going to pretend I have any engineering degrees or other documentation that would deem me an expert about this subject, but what I do have is decades of experience hauling trailers both commercial and others. Just because a tire is made in China doesn't make it bad. Most are made there nowadays. The brands I find acceptable are Sailun and Super Cargo. I have had failures on Goodyears, Carlisle and Trailer King. The Goodyears I had were blowing out while the trailer was parked for two weeks after I had last used it! Talk about lucky!

The Sailuns and Super Cargo tires are much heavier and have much stiffer sidewalls. When you get into class 8 trucks and semi trailers, that is a totally different animal. so I'll leave them out. I'm only speaking of RV's and trailers under 30K pounds GVW's. I haven't used a Carlisle in probably 15-20 years so they may have improved but the Sailuns and Super Cargo's serve me well so no need to experiment.

And IIRC the Super Cargo's, which were bought at Walmart, were quite a bit less than the Goodyears that they replaced. I believe I paid $112 each, plus mounting. And a friend of mine pointed out that these tires could be purchased in bulk, directly from China from as little as $43! You would have to buy an entire shipping container full of them, but the profits are phenomenal! So, not really disagreeing with anyone here, just a seat of the pants review.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote