View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #90
wiredgeorge

Miles, I went to the San Antonio Home and Garden show a number of years ago and contracted with a local company to put up a car port very similar to the one pictured especially noting the way the gables are set. I had sides put on mine and was supposed to have the back closed in. The guy's installers came out and did the install and put up a structure high enough for an RV I think. They put on sides but no back. First time the wind blew, the structure started leaning as there wasn't enough strength where the uprights bend towards the roof. Those sections are only bent and have little strength as a result. The puny little braces as shown didn't help a bit. My building was going to come down but i backed my old pickup and pushed the building back to where it was standing upright again. Got a guy from a local welding shop to come out, get on a ladder and weld cross braces so the building wouldn't fold up like a house of cards. Also, my building was put on base and they just drove long bolts in to anchor. Probably a foot or less for most.

A high structure like an RV port needs some thought. You can get a couple different gauge steel but I think I would be leery of this type construction. Buy a few bags of concrete and use metal tubing and find a welder. That square channel stuff kind of scares me based on my experience. If the basic structure is all welded up, you can put your own roof on it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote