View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #74
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hmmm....

Here's a post from an unlucky ecoboost owner from another forum. Sounds like he's out a lot more than $1000 or so;

"I have a 2012 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5 Platinum. I bought it last year used, with 100k miles and have never owned such a nice vehicle. I was driving home from work yesterday when I heard a loud bang followed by lots of smoke. A little icon of a wrench lit up on the display. At first I thought I blew a tire because the truck was shaking so bad, but I pulled into a side street and cut the engine because smoke was coming from under the hood. The truck has just over 124k miles on it now.

I had heard people having trouble with the turbos, so I thought maybe the right hand one blew. There was a lot of oil dripping down. Called tow truck and hauled it over to Ford to take a look. Got a call this morning that the engine had blown. They could have me running by next week and could finance the repair if I wanted...So worried, I asked how much, they said $14,900 more/less with taxes. I only paid $22k for the Truck to begin with, so there is no way on this planet I can put that into the truck.

I called around and found reman motor for about $6k, but they don't come with the turbos, and Ford said mine were now full of oil, not sure if that would make them unusable or not.

I found a pull from a salvage yard, 74k miles with turbos still on it for $3300 +300 core. I have replace an engine back in the day on my old 1992 f150 and it wasn't too difficult, but under the hood of this beast is a whole different story, not even sure where to start. Guessing a Hanes or Chilton might have R&R information in it.

So, have any of yall replaced the 3.5 ecoboost yourself? Im wondering if it is doable, and very interested in your thoughts. I didn't think a motor would blow after 124k miles, granted I didn't own it for the first 100k."
Yeah, my buddies at the dealer said they run like a scalded dog. Until they break. Then it's, "Bring lots of money". One of the guys I work with bought a new 2016. It's nice, runs strong. But I agree, pushing small engines to the limit will bring consequences in the long run.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote