View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #70
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
A Ford turbo is $1000 and an intercooler is $300. Now the new turbo also have an electric oil pump to keep oil flowing whole it spools down after the engine is shot off. This is not the old SVO or turbo birds systems. Wouldn't consider that second mortgage territory for am engine that eats every v8 in its class with power, where is needed.

Hmmm....

Here's a post from an unlucky ecoboost owner from another forum. Sounds like he's out a lot more than $1000 or so;

"I have a 2012 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5 Platinum. I bought it last year used, with 100k miles and have never owned such a nice vehicle. I was driving home from work yesterday when I heard a loud bang followed by lots of smoke. A little icon of a wrench lit up on the display. At first I thought I blew a tire because the truck was shaking so bad, but I pulled into a side street and cut the engine because smoke was coming from under the hood. The truck has just over 124k miles on it now.

I had heard people having trouble with the turbos, so I thought maybe the right hand one blew. There was a lot of oil dripping down. Called tow truck and hauled it over to Ford to take a look. Got a call this morning that the engine had blown. They could have me running by next week and could finance the repair if I wanted...So worried, I asked how much, they said $14,900 more/less with taxes. I only paid $22k for the Truck to begin with, so there is no way on this planet I can put that into the truck.

I called around and found reman motor for about $6k, but they don't come with the turbos, and Ford said mine were now full of oil, not sure if that would make them unusable or not.

I found a pull from a salvage yard, 74k miles with turbos still on it for $3300 +300 core. I have replace an engine back in the day on my old 1992 f150 and it wasn't too difficult, but under the hood of this beast is a whole different story, not even sure where to start. Guessing a Hanes or Chilton might have R&R information in it.

So, have any of yall replaced the 3.5 ecoboost yourself? Im wondering if it is doable, and very interested in your thoughts. I didn't think a motor would blow after 124k miles, granted I didn't own it for the first 100k."
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote