Thread: Miles a day?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
jsmith948

Sometimes this is age related - sometimes it is experience (or lack there of).
When I drove 'over-the-road' there seemed to be a "culture" whereby it was considered to be almost unmanly to stop and sleep. If you arrived late for a load, the dispatcher would often times ask "what did you do - stop and sleep?"
Some of the drivers I knew would succumb to the pressure and keep driving until the sound of gravel stones hitting the undercarriage woke them up. If they were lucky, they were able to get back onto the pavement from the shoulder without taking a disastrous tour out through the giggle weeds. When you feel tired, stop.
We try to keep it under 400 miles per day. As an example, on our upcoming trip to west central Washington, we will stop for the night in Mountain Gate, CA (373 mi) then Corvalis, OR (344), then Riffe Lake in Washington (203mi). That way we arrive right at check in time have ample time for set up and then time to visit with the DS, DIL and grandsons before supper. There was a time when I would have just cut the trip in half and saved one night in a CG. But, after pushing for time and mileage for so many years, I'm just not in that much of a hurry. And, I try to keep our rolling road block at a stately 57 mph

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote