Thread: Help--towing
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Thanks for the good responses. Again, I am NOT saying one should exceed the stated limits of the truck; my point is that if you are at or under the stated limits you will still have around a 20% safety factor. My point is the whole argument of "you MUST be 20% under your stated limit or you're overloading" is hogwash. That's all. And I am not acussing any of you of saying that either; just that I have seen that on other threads.
You can read my response to the 20% safety margin in the last paragraph of post #2 in this thread (page 1).

I don't recall any threads on the forum that "apply a strict 20%" but you're correct in stating that there are numerous posts that "suggest" people factor in about 20% when calculating the weights of a new (never seen/never weighed) trailer. That is more to provide a "cushion" which is usually necessary in order to arrange cargo to maximize stability (tongue weight 10-15%) provide for an extra battery, the kid's bicycle and the numerous other items that simply aren't "on the inventory" when a novice (and most old timers, too) put pen to paper to see if they are "within the weight range" with a new trailer for their current truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote