Thread: Auto leveling
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
It's a catch 22. The way to avoid Out of Stroke is to limit how far the jacks must travel to achieve level...that means more blocks. But if a site is a little more out of level side to side than it appears by eyeballing it then you end up with tires off of the ground. Some don't mind that but I prefer to have some of the weight of the trailer carried on the wheels...YMMV. As a result I will try to mitigate by partially leveling side to side before engaging auto level. But if I need to block up one side to partially level that means a longer reach for the jacks...so more blocks. It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. You just get good at it.

Bottom line for me is I want my tires supported and enough blocks to prevent out of stroke. I use the Andersen style curved blocks to quickly achieve partial leveling support on the low side if needed, put down enough blocks to prevent OOS and minimize trailer movement for comfort, disconnect from truck, blocks under the rear jacks, Auto Level, tighten JT Strongarms. Takes very little time and prevents errors.

We've all got a process for setting up. But keeping a sharp eye on how far the jacks will have to travel saves unneeded grief.
This^^^
If the site is so unlevel that the tires will end up off the ground, this means the camper is on a slope relying on the friction provided by two metal feet on a stack of wood or plastic on one side. I much prefer to have as much contact with the ground as possible while still achieving level.
Anderson levelers do more than raise one side of the camper - they are also a very effective set of wheel chocks.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote