View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #23
raptor300mpfamily

I second this suggestion. I95 corridor from Boston to Richmond VA is a mess and I don’t think there’s as many fuel facilities that will meet your needs. Going 81 may add miles but may also save you time and will definitely save you aggravation.

I travel NY to FL often. I try to never get below a 1/4 tank before fueling. You need some flexibility to scope gas stations from the outside, maybe having to get back on the highway and go to another, and you need to be able to idle in traffic for an hour or two at an accident. I wouldn’t pull into any gas stations you can’t see a way to pull through from the road. My first choice is Love’s (cleaner) then flying J truck stops. First Flying J in north VA on 81 always has cheapest gas / diesel of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
RogerMack

It may sound crazy, but we avoid I-95 like the plague when possible. Traffic through the DC area, NYC area and Richmond, VA area can be volatile. When we travel to/from FL to ME we stick inland. It may be another 100+ miles longer (I calculated it once but have since forgotten it) but the time saved from avoiding the identified areas more than makes up for it.

From ME we take I-95 to I-495 (which you are apparently right off of) to I-90. From there we take I-84. There's no way to avoid the mess in CT, but sticking to the east when given the option and taking I-91 to I-691 back to I-84 cuts out some of the nonsense.

You could then take I-84 to I-81 to I-77 to I-95 and on into FL. There is one short distance on I-77 as you leave VA and enter NC where you'll want to put it in low gear; otherwise the climbs/drops are quite manageable through the mountains.

There are plenty of truck stops along any of the interstates, so no matter which route you take you should be fine. You might want to go to Flying J/Pilot's web site and note where their stations are located.

Safe travels.
raptor300mpfamily is offline   Reply With Quote