View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "use a 30 Amp Converter," but if you're talking about the 50 Amp to 30 Amp conversion plug, it is simply a device that connects one hot leg of the 50 Amp plug to one hot leg of the 30 Amp plug, connects the neutral and the ground of each to the appropriate pins on the convesion plug. The other hot lead on the 50 Amp lead is "dead ended" and not used in the conversion plug. Usually 8 guage wire is used for the connections and the assembly is molded with PVC. As such, unless it's a special plug with a limiting circuit in it, the full 50 Amps from the hot pin on the 50 Amp side is applied to the hot pin on the 30 Amp side (through an 8 guage straight wire). This actually applies 50 Amps to the hot pin on the RV power cord when it's plugged into the conversion plug.
I'm not sure what you mean by only 25 Amps is available. To my knowledge, no plug has the ability to reduce the 50 Amps down to 25 Amps within the conversion plug and the full 50 Amps flows through the wire from one end to the other.
=====================

John,
You're correct. Ignore my post. After ready up on it I now understand the power distribution better.
Here's a good description:
http://www.myrv.us/electric/
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote