View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhit View Post
If you have a smart phone, several apps are available that can display the satellite positions on your screen. This provides you with the proper direction and you can determine if trees or other obstructions will block the view. I used a manual dish but would sometimes spend way too much time getting it setup. I got a Winegard satellite gm 1518 automatic dome. It will only receive the standard definition signal, but all you do is sit in a location that can see the satellites apply 12V power and the coax wire and in about 2 minutes you are watching TV. I use a 12V vehicle jump start unit that take a cigarette lite type plug and supply power to the dish. After the dish locks on the signal the 12V power can be disconnected. Then it off to roughing it around the fire with the TV.
I did the same, mine though is attached to the roof and I have a switch in side. Once I have my RV level and jacks down I turn the TV on, flick the switch inside and usually have signal by the time the slide is out. If not its always going by the time I get the mats out, beer fridge open and other odds and ends.

Although the phone apps and on-line videos are a huge asset when trying to do it yourself. As well with the manual of your receiver their should be a long list of directions and elevations you can go off of if your ok with a compass. As well there are little satellite finders you can purchase that you hook in, my experience with them they were not as good as the phone app as they would pick up any satellite out there. The only thing they were good for was if you had no one to watch the built in satellite finder or could not here it.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote