Thread: 50 to 15 amp?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
burns up the starters in the compressor motors.. it ain't the running that's the problem... it's the starting.. A lot of the storage lots around Waco provide 15A service and he gets a lot of business from their customers... He also has a storage lot and he does provide the 15A service but tells everyone NOT to run the A/C... those that don't listen become repair customers before the summer is out..
Kinda hard to buy into that one. Compressors do not have "starter Motors". It's one single phase motor that uses a start relay and capacitor or in the case of a rotary compressor, probably what we call a start assist. The amp draw at startup is less than a sec on, and as long as the power course is able to supply the needed voltage it will do fine. If it runs on low AC for an extended period, the compressor itself can burn up from the increased current draw.

My storage facility also provides 115V and they tell us not to run the AC, but that's because they run multiple spaces from a single breaker and their electrical system is not set up to provide the needed power to run multiple circuits, but that is a shortfall of the electrical system and not a fault of the air conditioners. The 15K BTU units may struggle with 15A circuits depending on the condition of everything, but anything smaller does fine on it. My 16KBTU units run on 20A circuits, everything smaller runs on 15A and they do very well. I have marine customers that do it every single day.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote