View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #63
JRTJH
Site Team

On of my "life dreams" was (no longer is) to own a Ford GT. Used to have HUGE engines, turbos and the resulting "power rumble" which is what attracted me to ownership....

Today's Ford GT is a "shell of its former glory" complete with a EcoBoost 3.5L "whiney engine" and the "lustful sound of power" is only a memory.... If I were still inclined to buy a "sports car" I'd probably opt for a Mazda Miata, same "tiny whiney engine" and a hell of a lot less "buy in investment"...

Point is, things are going to change, some will see the change as an improvement, some will "lust for the good old days"... Either way, change will be slow, methodical and "profit based" for the automobile companies, not mandated by the government.

As for the "dollars added to make today's cars cost more"... As a kid, I don't think we ever took a vacation where we didn't wind up sitting at a gas station, waiting for a fan belt, a water pump or a generator.... We only traveled at night (no air conditioning in those days) and could barely see the road ahead with those old sealed beam headlights.... Today's cars go 100K miles before even needing spark plugs, I can't remember the last water pump I changed, alternators seem to last forever and even the foam in the seats is more durable than the cotton quilting under the wool serge covers from the 50's... So, yes, cars cost more, but they last immeasureably longer than they did 50 years ago too.....

Heck, just think back to that "ugly swollen bottom lip" bumper that was on all the 1973 cars.... You know, the spring loaded 5MPH steel beam covered with sun faded plastic"... When was the last time you even noticed a "protective bumper on a current model car or truck" ???

Bottom line, at least to me, vehicles are immeasurably better today than in the past, but they're still "fossil fuel powered".... My guess is they'll be even better in 20 or 30 years, but still "fossil fuel powered".... And I won't be driving a Ford GT with it's "whiney EcoBoost engine".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote