View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #67
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaney View Post
Cougar CG30RLS 11,000 lb gross 1,545 lb pin weight. My current F250 truck has a 3,350 lb cargo rating on the yellow sticker. The F150 Hybrid has a tow rating of 14,000 pounds
First the tow rating number explained (as I understand it and has been explained to me)

The 14000 pound max tow rating is from the SAE test using a 150 pound driver(I believe they may have added a passenger recently but I could be wrong). It is also for conventional towing assuming a 10% tongue weight using a trailer with little to no frontal area or side walls, basically steel plates on a flatbed NOT an RV profile. Towing capacity changes for "gooseneck/fifth wheel" which assumes 15% pin weight. ON EVERY PAGE of the towing guide clearly spelled out (Bold red type since 2019 not even fine print) informing the user that individual truck limits may change based on model and trim and NOT to exceed the rated GVWR of the vehicle. The payload on the hybrid may go as much as 2000 pounds depending on model and trim options but those will be as rare or even more rare than the HDPP Models and will most likely be less than 2000 pounds payload.

Next is the Pin weight on the trailer. the brochure pin weight of 1545 is 17.22% of the dry weight of 8968. You will add weight to that: batteries, 60 pounds of propane, dishes, clothes toys, etc. using 18% of the 11K Trailer GVWR you have a very conservative 1980 pounds of pin weight (20 shy of the possible 2K) in the bed of your truck and you have not added a hitch, passengers, or anything else. This is too close IMO.

I tow a 1/2 ton fiver with a "1/2 ton truck" but it is the heavy duty payload package with a stickered payload of 2330 pounds. The 1/2 ton towable fifth wheels typically have a pin weight that is 15-18% of GVWR rather than the 20-25% for classic fifth wheels. This is due to the engineering and the fact that the axles are closer to the pin than typical fivers. Mine is right around 17.5% as last scaled and I was fully loaded right at 10,100 (GVWR on my trailer is 10,220) pounds with 1780 on the pin. I go right up to the trucks GVWR with the hitch, wife, dogs incidental and I and I'm sure past it more than once. It did not blow up, make the wheels fall off or cause the world to stop turning BTW. I am always conscience of what gets loaded in the trailer not using a bathroom scale obsessed with it but after 6 seasons with this trailer I know when I'm light or heavy or should not pack something without leaving something behind.

Keep the F250 if you really want to tow a fifth wheel. Of course, you can do whatever you like, it's still a free country (Mostly). If it were me I would keep the 250.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote