Thread: Upsizing Tires
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #15
RandyCougar

This has been quite the saga. I ordered tires on Amazon. Based on Reviews I opted for Maxxis M8008 tires. Waited a week and they came in. Problem...the build date on them was 4815! Nearly 5 1/2 year-old tires, and they were on 8-ply, not 10. That's not going to happen. Requested a return and they reviewed it for 2 days and sent me return stickers. The kicker is I had to take them to a FedEx facility. They would not pick them up. The facility is more than and hour away from me. It will take a week for them to get back to Missouri. Then they will process my refund.

SO, I opted 225-75-15's and new wheels at my local Les Schab. A couple of hours after I dropped the trailer off at the shop, I got a call that they had mounted the tires on the wheels and that they absolutely DID NOT fit. He said that the shackles would have to be reversed and then MAYBE they would fit. He said I could come and look to verify. Since I was that hour north making the return, I asked for alternatives. He suggested I get Towmaster 8-ply rated 205-75-15's, and he would do the dismount/re-mount.

That is what I chose to do since we are getting ready to hit the road this weekend. On the way to pick up the trailer my wife's TPMS light came on in her van. Since we were at the tire store, I asked them to look at it. Turns out she had a drywall screw in one tire. Since we were at that point drop-ins, we had to wait our turn. Two hours later we left with Both vehicles. It turned out to be and all-day ordeal.

As a side note, the Maxxis tires came through Amazon and were from Autoplicity in Kansas City, Mo.
RandyCougar is offline   Reply With Quote