View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #74
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I get it. I love diesel too. But some people have different needs. DW and I are in our early 60's. And we plan on being part-timers, never planning to buy any rig that weighs more than 16k lbs.
I want one last truck to take us through 10 to 20 years of traveling. Probably about 200k miles and well past extended warranty time periods. The most reliable diesels out there are the older ones with mechanical pumps, no def, egr etc. The very same ones my wife despises.
I won't bad mouth anyone's diesel, I like them. If I was towing heavier than I'm going to, I would buy one. But since I am not, I am planning on a F-350 with the 7.3l gas engine.
Oh, and 4:30 gears . It fits my needs.
I would strongly disagree with your statement that older ones are the most reliable. I'd bet any of the big 3 newer diesels are much stronger, more powerful & much better equipped than those 10-15 years ago when most were built to be work trucks. Nowadays they can be as well equipped as most any model of luxury car on the market. They don't clatter & rattle while running, they don't stink, they don't belch black smoke with every press of the go pedal, get good fuel mileage & ride fairly decent.
I'm also one of those guys Marshall described! I've towed heavy rvs with gassers & diesels, didn't notice much difference in normal maintenance costs, fuel mileage was better with the diesel especially in hilly areas, that diesel easily chugs uphill with ease while that gasser is screaming trying to keep up speed & if towing any rv of any significant weight or length will never do so with a gasser again.
We used a diesels as a daily driver, short distances & towing, for 15+ years & never any issues with 2 different diesel trucks. In Europe the majority of vehicles, cars & trucks, are diesels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote