Thread: Sailun Tires
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Any tire with a steel ply sidewall is going to weigh more and be more robust vs a poly ply sidewall tire. However as you point out the carrying capacity for a given size is the same. I have had three different all steel ply tires: Michelin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 and the Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G on our 2017 Bighorn 3575el. An all steel ply tire with a rib style tread will have a lower rolling resistance, providing slightly better fuel mileage. Based on the weight of the Bighorn 16K I ran them at 105 psi verse the 110 on the placard, for two reasons: 1. Actual weight was way below capacity that 110 psi provided, and having a source of air to inflate to 110 psi is difficult at best.

Just for the record, the week we purchase the Laredo 225MK with GoodRide ST225R15D tires(I had never heard of them), they were replaced with GY Endurance ST225/75R15E's. The GoodRides sold on CL the first day for 200 bucks.

My advice would be to weigh your trailer ready for travel and inflate your tires to the require inflation for actual weight adding 5 psi to the number.

A little history would be our 2005 Cardinal came with LT235/85R16E Kenda Klever tires. Within the first year Kenda gave us 110 dollars each to remove and destroy all five. The replacement Michelin XPS Ribs were inflated to the 65 psi on the placard and after a year or so I noticed slightly more wear on the outer ribs, and up the inflation to 71 psi and had even wear after that.

Chris

Thank you. I agree that the steel tires weigh more than others, are more robust (stronger). My curiosity is that the TRA establishes a uniform load inflation chart for a specific size regardless of how that tire is constructed. Then all tires, regardless of construction, are all the same in that chart. I'm thinking it's very strange that the company that comes out with the better, more robust tire would then accept a chart that says they are no better or worse than any other competitor?? Just curious.

As far as load limits vs air pressure I have always erred to the max pressure on the tire for an RV; my vehicles, not so. In this case this trailer came with LRF tires, after the RVIA increase. I opted to go up to LRG's simply due to the tire issues I've had in the past and my reluctance to take "unknown" OEM tires. That said, the max load the LRG tires can carry are far more than even the gvw of the trailer. With that in mind I wanted to find out the actual carrying capacity of the Sailuns at various pressures because I thought, THOUGHT, I might pressure them down a bit against my better judgement. Figured Sailun would have something specific for their tires as TBC advised; apparently they don't. I do appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote