Thread: Sailun Tires
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know the TRA has the load charts. The person at TBC said the "manufacturer" would have a specific load chart for their tire. The ones I've found have been from the TRA (I did see one once with a Sailun header but don't remember where). Which brings up a question...

If in fact the TRA is the "keeper" and establishes the load inflation ability for all size tires do we then just assume that whatever tire we get from whatever company is built and tested to meet those measures? If that's the case are some tires then just "built better" and only meet those minimum requirements and others built to a higher, stronger internal standard but only say they meet the TRA standards?

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact that you can hold, weigh or stand on a TK tire and an identical sized Sailun etc. and feel the sizeable weight and construction difference in them. If they both say they have the exact same load carrying ability by TRA, which we know is not correct, how do we know which one is better? Word of mouth, experience, forums?

Not trying to argue but if I made a better mousetrap I would point out its advantages instead of sending out a generic chart that said my trap was identical to everyone else's trap??? Just keeping my bored, rain tired brain active...
Any tire with a steel ply sidewall is going to weigh more and be more robust vs a poly ply sidewall tire. However as you point out the carrying capacity for a given size is the same. I have had three different all steel ply tires: Michelin XPS Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250 and the Sailun S637 ST235/85R16G on our 2017 Bighorn 3575el. An all steel ply tire with a rib style tread will have a lower rolling resistance, providing slightly better fuel mileage. Based on the weight of the Bighorn 16K I ran them at 105 psi verse the 110 on the placard, for two reasons: 1. Actual weight was way below capacity that 110 psi provided, and having a source of air to inflate to 110 psi is difficult at best.

Just for the record, the week we purchase the Laredo 225MK with GoodRide ST225R15D tires(I had never heard of them), they were replaced with GY Endurance ST225/75R15E's. The GoodRides sold on CL the first day for 200 bucks.

My advice would be to weigh your trailer ready for travel and inflate your tires to the require inflation for actual weight adding 5 psi to the number.

A little history would be our 2005 Cardinal came with LT235/85R16E Kenda Klever tires. Within the first year Kenda gave us 110 dollars each to remove and destroy all five. The replacement Michelin XPS Ribs were inflated to the 65 psi on the placard and after a year or so I noticed slightly more wear on the outer ribs, and up the inflation to 71 psi and had even wear after that.

Chris