Thread: New Ram 3500
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #160
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Back about 5 years ago, Volkswagen "screwed the pooch" with their alleged (I don't want any liability here) emissions violations. That put the "kabosch" on diesel advancements for mid size vehicles for a couple of years. Ford came out in early 2018 with their Powerstroke 3.0l V-6 diesel. It's rated at 250HP/440 ft/lb torque.

If I remember, Fiat/Chrysler got caught up in allegations along those emission violation lines, but I don't think they were ever "caught doing anything"... There is one report of a Jeep with a diesel that died enroute to Alaska with a forum member in the driver's seat. He did get a new engine and last I heard, it was working well.

IMHO, Ford's V-6 is the "baby powerstroke" and the 6.7l (superduty size) is the "papa powerstroke" What we need is something between them, in a small V-8 or large V-6 or I-6 to work in the HP/torque range between the "baby and papa"...

As for the "new large pushrod gas engines" hopefully this experiment will go better than Ford's "modular engine lineup"... The V-10 modular engine was, IMHO, one of the most "fuel hungry engines" since the old days of the 428, 440 and 460 V-8's. Of course they had either 6 or 8 carb barrels dumping fuel and air into those hungry beasts. Funny that they were only rated at 250HP range "back in the day when insurance rates mandated horsepower ratings"....

Most of the engines we messed with were well above 250hp. Loved the Dodge/Plymouth engines but never owned them; just had friends/relatives with them and was envious. I believe most were in the 350-400hp range stock and torque between 425-500ft. lbs. Unbelievable back in the day. They were the "hot rods", muscle cars and not truck engines. The 440 Dodge truck engine was much like you said - thirsty. The others.....fun has a price so "thirsty" didn't really matter except on a limited budget you couldn't go far. Todays engines are really pumping out the power; gas or diesel and personally I love it. How long will that last? I don't know but intend to have a blast while we have the opportunity before it all comes tumbling down like it did in the 80s.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote